Ever since we placed the two hummingbird feeders in our backyard back in late May we have had our share of unusual guests help themselves to the sugar water mixture. We have been able to attract numerous hummingbirds; but we also been able to attract turtle dove, purple finch, and numerous bees and wasps. Today was unique. Not only was there an unusual guest, the hummingbirds were not at all thrilled with the new visitor. You may not be able to spot it in this first photo, but try your best before scrolling down to the next few photos.

Notice the angry rufus trying to protect his domain....




Ok, enough guessing. The unwelcomed culprit was a praying mantis.

After publishing this post, I found this unusual post on praying mantis and hummingbirds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0CGkD4mcuQ&feature=related. For some reason the weblink option is not working so you'll have to copy the weblink and paste it into your web browser.
I have asked Mike to make certain he sweeps the praying mantis off of the hummingbird feeder first thing in the morning.
2 comments:
Carson and I put a feeder up this past weekend and we finally managed to draw some females from my neighbors. They really are facinating to watch.
Also glad to see that you are using clear nectar. I have read that the red dyes are causing issues with egg production as well as causing cancers. Makes you wonder why they STILL put that stuff in our food. We make our own...quarter cup sugar to 1 cup of water.
Post a Comment