Sunday, August 31, 2008

Culinary Arts for Boys

A few months back, Kari introduced the family to a great website called ThePioneerWoman.com. We have enjoyed many of the recipes and easy to follow steps in preparing some of the best dishes ever.

Yesterday, Zach and I decided to try to create the Best Ever Lasagna recipe from The Pioneer Woman. Because it was so much fun, we decided to make two - one for Sunday lunch and one to freeze for later.

Today, we took the lasagna and a fresh salad to the farm to share with Mike's mom and dad, Sue and Jodie. The lasagna was a hit. Jodie, Mike and Zach each had second helpings. We stuffed ourselves and still had leftovers to bring home. In fact, Zach had another plate full tonight for dinner and claims that it's even better as a leftover dish.

Will wanted to try his hand at culinary arts too. Tonight we decided to start with a simple but good Duncan Hines cake. Will had a great time measuring the ingredients, using the Kitchen Aid mixer and most importantly, licking the bowl.

The finished product ....



While Will finished his masterpiece, Zach and Mike played a few holes of golf. Mike had a his first ever eagle on hole #2. This is the hole right outside our back yard. It's a long par 5 and he used his driver from the tee, then a 5 wood to put it within five feet of the hole. After the golf, Mike and Zach both decided to clean their clubs with some dishwashing soap and a little Brasso. I caught them in action just as they were finishing up. If only I could get them to wash the dishes??


1 comment:

Kari said...

The Pioneer Woman is a great website... I am glad that you all are enjoying her. Another couple of good websites are: Chickens in the Road, Squillens blog, the Sunday Baker, and Kami's blog. all have good recipes that I have tried and loved.

Glad that the boys are enjoying it too... Will's cake looks AMAZING! Just be glad that they are old enough to understand that you just don't randomly add salt to everything.. like some little someone in my family, who loves to help me cook. If I don't watch carefully, he will salt cake batter.