Monday, August 25, 2008

Fond School Day Memories

Ok, while our two boys have been in school for well over four weeks, Wendy's kids started today and Kari and Wayne's Carson starts next week. So, in honor of all the memories of the first day of school over the course of several years, I think it would be fun to share my fondest memories of a favorite teacher from one of my elementary years. Maybe, everyone can post a similar memory on their own blog. Not required, but here is mine....

First day of school, 4th grade at Malibu Elementary...My teacher's name was Mrs. Keller. She was a school favorite. In addition, she was friends with our neighbors, the Ness's. I remember seeing her on her bicycle in front of their house and thinking how strange it was to run into my teacher outside of the school.

The best thing about being in Mrs. Keller's class was that we had class in a portable classroom. I thought that was the best!! Mrs. Keller was so nice and had a way of making everyone feel so special. She made going to school fun. I'm not certain, but I think Kari had Mrs. Keller too. I say this because I remember Kari telling me how lucky I was to have Mrs. Keller. I don't remember everything that happened that year, but I do remember that during my fourth grade year, a lawsuit was filed against Bell Telephone Company. I can't remember why Mrs. Keller shared that with us, but I do remember it. Other things I remember from Mrs. Keller's class include allowing us to write in pen. I felt so grown up knowing that I could turn in my homework penned in ball point ink.

The one thing I remember most about Ms. Keller is how she comforted me when I returned to school that December morning after missing school because my grandfather had died. She let me stay in her classroom during lunch that day because I couldn't stop crying and I didn't want to go to lunch with the other kids. I remember that she talked to me to take my mind off of "Go Daddy". She also made sure that the work I missed was easy for me to catch up on.

I suppose this is why I have such fond memories of Mrs. Keller. She was just doing her job, but in my memories, she was more than a teacher. She was genuine and had love for everyone of us!

2 comments:

Kari said...

Yep I had her, but when I had her she taught first grade. She wasn't married yet, and her name was Miss Presren.

wendybtx said...

I cant remember my teachers in Virginia, but I remember some of them from West Central. My favorite was Miss McWhorter who married Hal Easly. She was my teacher in 7th grade. I really liked her. She was the one that sent the progress report home, but said that I was such a delight to have in class. Ha!